What is Breast Cancer?
Cancer results when the cells in the body get divides and multiply in an uncontrolled way. This is because of the mutations of the genes which regulate cell growth.
In breast cancer, breast cells get affected. The cancer is either in the lobules or the ducts of the breast. Lobules are the glands in the female body that produces milk, while ducts are the passage that brings the milk from lobules to the nipple. Fatty or fibrous connective tissues within the breast can also cause cancer. Abnormal and uncontrolled growth of breast cells leads to breast cancer.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
There are no visible symptoms of breast cancer in the early stages. Sometimes, a small tumor can be felt, but abnormality can be seen on a mammogram. If a tumor is experienced then the first symptoms would be a lump in the breast, but however, all lumps are not cancer.
There are a variety of symptoms for each type of breast cancer. Generally, some of the common symptoms of breast cancer are:
- Thickening of the tissue or breast lump
- Nonhealing breast ulcer
- Red and Pitted Skin on the breast
- Swelling in the breast
- Sometimes associated with pain
- Nipple discharge apart from the milk discharge
- Blood discharge
- Peeling, scaling, or flaking of the skin on the nipple or breast
- Change in shape and size
- Lumps in the armpits
- Bone pain, jaundice, cough and breathlessness, seizures and headache, etc.( if the disease spreads to bones, liver, lung, and brain )
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms then there can be chances of breast cancer.
Who treats breast cancer?
Breast cancer is treated by surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy. The medical oncologist is the primary doctor who is involved in the treatment of every stage of breast cancer. Medical Oncologists have a specialty in Medical management of cancer.
Stages of Breast Cancer
There are multiple stages of breast cancer depending on the size & spread area of the tumor. Clearly, cancer which has spread more and is large in size have a higher stage comparatively to the smaller ones which have a lower stage.
To determine the stage, the doctor needs to know:
- Type of cancer, that is whether invasive or non-invasive.
- Size of tumor.
- Involvement of lymph nodes
- Spread area of cancer
Breast Cancer Diagnosis
To determine whether the sufferings of your pain are because of breast cancer or due to any other disease the doctor will perform certain to diagnose.
The main tests are:
- Mammogram: Mammogram is one of the most common ways of diagnosing breast cancer. Any deformity or abnormal area when seen on the mammogram, the doctor then may run additional tests.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound employs the use of sound waves to create a picture of the tissues inside the breast.
- Biopsy: To confirm the diagnosis
- IHC: for targeted medicines including hormonal tablets
- CECT: To see the staging of disease
- Bone scan: if bone involvement is suspected
- PETCT: for complete staging if suspected staging is III or more on clinical examination
- MRI brain: to rule out brain involvement if suspected
Breast Cancer Treatment
In this section, we are going to discuss a Breast cancer treatment which are available nowadays:
Stage I-III: to cure the disease
Stage IV: Mainly to relieve the symptoms – if needed
No role in stage I and II
The main role in stage III
Stage IV – mainly for symptom relief
- All stages of breast cancer.
- to prevent recurrence and improve survival ) stage I-III.
- To facilitate surgery.
- For breast conservation ( stage II-III).
- To Improve survival in stage IV.
- Improve the quality of life in stage IV.
- To relieve symptoms in stage IV
In Hormone therapy, hormones get blocked from attaching to receptors on cancer cells and the production of hormones gets decreased in the body. This therapy is used for breast cancers which have found receptors for the naturally occurring hormones estrogen or progesterone.
It is used in all stages of cancer are positive for Hormone receptors
In the stage, I to III to improve survival
In stage IV to relieve symptoms and prolong survival with improved quality of life
If Cancer is positive for Targeted receptor then it is also given in all stages
In stage I to III it reduces risk of mortality by 30%
Because of the latest advancements in Medical Oncology cure rate of breast cancer has improved dramatically. Even in stage IV longer life is possible because of chemotherapy, hormonal therapy and targeted therapy. To preserve the quality of life.
So please don’t worry if you are diagnosed with breast cancer, Just Meet Medical oncologist and you will find a way to cope with the problem.
Are you looking for breast cancer treatment in Yashoda Hospital, Hyderabad?
In conclusion,If you are looking for breast cancer treatment in Yashoda Hospital, Hyderabad, then you should consult Dr. Rajesh Bollam. He has provided the breast cancer treatment in the esteemed Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai and now available in the Yashoda Hospital, Hyderabad city.